Sunday, July 20, 2014

The day I got my Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140

My wife and I were attending a semi destination wedding in Key Largo (we lived in Miami at the time) and it just so happened to be my birthday weekend. A half mile down from the Marriott where we had a great wedding there was a Kayak / canoe shop. This was the ideal shop having the bay right behind them to try any paddle boat your heart desires. Paddles, and everything you could ever need on the water this place was awesome. It's called Florida Bay Outfitters It's still there and again what's so great is that unlike many places you can try before you buy. I ended up trying the T120 but due to my weight   I felt the 140 would be better. Fast forward 10 years later and it still in great (rough) shape in my garage waiting for it's next journey.

Initially I knew I wanted a "fishing" kayak but I also wanted something on the quicker side and also something comfortable to fish in. I thought about the 160 but the thought of 2 more feet of length in tight mangrove maze situation made me stick with the 140.

This boat is plenty fast, has storage space enough for all my gear. I got it with the rudder which I would recommend on any kayak. though the years I outfitted it with different gadgets depending on my needs but the first thing I did when I got it was put rod holders. Took it out on a short paddle so I can get an idea where I wanted the rod holders to go. Gotta say the day I drilled a 1.5 inch hole I was pretty nervous. No regrets though everything came out great.

Along with the Kayak I purchased the paddle a Werner Skagit 230 which I still have. I have always wanted something lighter like a ONNO but never got around to it.
Proud owner of a brand spanking new T140!
Ready to go on it's maiden Everglades voyage. (looked so new)



No comments:

Post a Comment