Tuesday, July 22, 2014

First Canoe rigged and Ready for Fishing

As I stated earlier in the blog I sold a Jon boat and got his Wally world special (That's what southern derelicts like me call Wal-Mart for you yankees) Canoe and rigged it with as much PVC as I could find. Ugly as it was it got us to where boats couldn't or weren't allowed to go and caught us fish. I started with a PVC pipe push pole to get us though the flats as quietly as a Calusa Indian. Later I got lazy and hooked up a trolling motor which was great for those days you were our real far and wanted to take a break from paddling. One time while maxed out on the 30lbs of thrust some bottle nosed dolphins criss-crossed at the bow of the canoe. It was such a sight I didn't want to even look for the camera in fear I would miss a second of this magnificent scene. So, this piece of crap canoe got me into places motor boats couldn't go, caught me more fish than I ever caught on any boat, took a beating better than a, well never mind you get it. I ended it getting a Kayak after but this canoe was great when fishing with a buddy. Best of all you could bring a big cooler to stuff with sandwiches and drinks then later fish!


Piece of crap canoe circa 1999

There is always going to be a place in my heart for a canoe for many reasons. Among those are that you can share your day with someone, carry more gear (I'm not one of those light packers) and the fact that at least in mine, you can stand up and stretch your legs!

No comments:

Post a Comment