Saturday, July 26, 2014

On the water Emergency / Survival Kit / Bail out bag

Most bloggers research for post but the reason my blogs about kayak and canoeing is because I have been doing it for over a decade. They say, "speak what you know" and that's what I'm doing. Having made a statement like that doesn't mean I can't be wrong but in this case I'm writing about what I have in my bail out bag and what I carry on my boat for safety. By all means if I missed something please comment! I may be a bit outdated but I will say I pass USCG certification inspection for safety.
Having been a boy scout when I was in my youth safety was always not only important but a part of everything we did. It's instilled in me and because of this I probably carry more than I should but our motto was, "Always be prepared."
There are a ton of things you can take with you to make any nasty situation a bit more comfortable but luckly for me I have never had to use any of the stuff in this bag. One thing though... Make sure you update your first aid kit when needed because some of the meds expire, as well as the flares.

I'll take you though my bail out bag:
Here is the bad full of safety/survival goodies


Bail Out Bag:
First Aid Kit - Meds, anti itch cream, gauge, tweezers,  Etc...
Water bottle
Flares
Hand warmers

Fluorescent green sea dye survival marker

Survival Kit
     Extra batteries
     cord
     signal mirror
     compass
     Waterproof matches
     Space blanket
     Small roll of duct tape

PFD:
USCG whistle (cool thing about this is it works even when wet)
Knife - Mine is a Gerber River Knife (make sure it wont corrode)
Water proof camera

Throw Rope -  This I attach somewhere on the boat mainly on the bail out bag.

All together it seems like a lot but it fits into a small 10L bag and it didn't cost me a fortune especially since I gathered all of it over time.

I often think I carry more that most recreational boats do but since I'm more liable to get into trouble I suppose it's ok to over do it.

Please comment if I'm missing something I'll be sure to add it!

2 comments:

  1. Great site, valuable and very useful information,you has provided us for that I really thankful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete