Sunday, October 11, 2009

A little backround...

    My name is David I was born in Belleville, NJ so that makes me Native regardless of the fact I lived in Miami for 16 years.

Eight years ago before I got married I sold my jon boat and got a canoe. It was a man they called "Canoeman". that planted this idea in my head, well not directly, but through the posts of an online forum and website by Captain Mel based in Tampa. I used to read stories about his fishing adventures and I thought to myself, "this is what I want to be when I grow up!" My first trip in Florida was on the Indian River. After that it was the Everglades and I after that I wasn't interested in paddling anywhere else.

         The Canoe was a means to get me on the fish but after time I developed a real joy for just being on the water, fish or not. I especially liked the fact that there was no motor and everything was just quiet. One of my favorite things to do is to get on the water while it was still dark and watch the sun rise in the glades. The fish bite was on during that time as well.
     After a few years on the canoe the hype was all about the kayak. I went out and got one but it didn't replace my canoe. Sometimes when your by yourself a kayak can handle finer in the wind.

I loved that canoe but I left her in Miami as I set out to Jersey in 2005. I used my kayak in Jersey but I gotta say I didn't think I was going to miss my canoe as much as I did. I missed that canoe so much that 3 years after the move I bought the same exact one here in Jersey. It's nothing special really in fact it handles clumsily, it's quite heavy but it looks similar to the one the Canoeman had.  It also took a tremendous beating. It was ready for whatever I had to dish out for that day. Oyster beds were no match for the polyurethane barge I would command over them. It's nearly 40 inch beam also makes it the most stable canoe around which is great for taking out newbies.
This blog is about the New Jersey adventures with the new canoe. My Wife Letty has taken some interest in paddling. Not sure if it's just to do something together and "it's nice" or a genuine interest of being in the outdoors. Don't really care much she seems to enjoy it and it's nice to have her join me, she is even doing a decent job paddling me around while I fish.
One thing is different for sure, No alligators here, I guess it's good in a way but I do miss the encounters, it was part of the everglades allure. What can be said it that I traded one of the worlds most unique eco setting for the mountain lakes and the Oh, so famous "Joisey Shuwa". I don't regret the move I gottasay, it does feel like home. 
 
Read more about the late Merrill "Canoeman" Chandler at the Capt Mel's site http://capmel.com/CanoemanRemembered.htm







No comments:

Post a Comment